What a great start to the school year! One of our goals for our elementary students here at OCSI is to understand God, His world, and their place in it. I’ve already seen our students grow in their understanding of things like…
- How God made each child unique through the song “I Am Special” (pre-K).
- Story sequence by identifying what part of a story doesn’t belong (kindergarten).
- God as Creator of this world and worthy of praise (1st grade).
- The joy of reading to others during Daily 5 (2nd grade).
- The importance of praying for others to create community (2nd grade).
- How our individual gifts and talents help us work together and help one another (2nd grade).
- Steps of the writing process, starting with brainstorming (3rd grade).
- The impact of Jesus’ short life here on Earth through the book Who Is This Man (5th grade).
- Place value of decimals to the thousandths place (5th grade).
As students grow in their understanding of the world God has made for us, I hope it will encourage them to keep reading and learning. Parents, you can support your child at home by reading to them and by encouraging them to ask questions and learn more about topics they’re interested in. Need some ideas?
Thanks for helping us get off to a great start!