OCSI focuses on thinking. We focus on increasing students’ ability to think both critically and Biblically. It’s good to see…
- PreK students working together to figure out new and creative ways to build structures from blocks.
1st grade artists exploring the concept of symmetry through portrait drawing.
3rd grade writers thinking about people and places that are important to them in order to write small moment narratives.
4th and 5th grade students thinking deeply about purpose and values in Bible class and at camp.
7th grade scientists considering the question, “How are these molecules the same, and how are they different?”
11th grade AP English students constructing argument essays, researched both sides of their chosen issue.
High school woodworkers, completing technical drawings and beginning construction of their scroll saw puzzles, learned to problem solve when issues arrive on a project or in life. Often, projects run longer than expected or errors occur. Students (woodworkers) then have to think critically to solve these issues. With strong critical thinking skills, students (woodworkers) can use their planned details with logic to not only solve problems, but even to foresee them before they occur, and avoid them.
It’s also good to see staff thinking about how to help OCSI be an even better school. On the October 9 professional day, for example, staff used rubrics to assess how OCSI is doing on governance, home/community relations, personnel, instructional program, student care, and values/character formation.
Additionally, the School Improvement Steering Committee has been meeting weekly to review input from students, parents/guardians, and staff; and to write reports on how OCSI is doing. These reports will be published and made available to you before our accreditation visit in March 2018.
As you think about upcoming events, please keep the following in mind:
- 11/3: Parent-teacher conferences – no school for students
- 11/11: Walkathon and PTF’s Holiday Market—see you there!
- 11/13: OCSI Holiday – no school
- 11/22: Professional Day – no school for students
- 11/23-24: Thanksgiving vacation
- 12/6: Christmas Program, 12:30 dismissal
- 12/15: 12:30 dismissal.
- 12/16 – 1/3: Christmas vacation
Did you know that…?
- The Guidance Office provides a list of college and career resources?
- Part of OCSI’s vision is students thinking critically and Biblically?
- OCSI’s website provides links to who we are and contact information?
- OCSI’s board is composed of 7 members this year? Check out the board’s page, policy, and minutes.
Thank you for the privilege of assisting your with the education of your child(ren)! Please contact us with your questions and concerns.
Meet our elementary staff! They love your kids, and they love learning.