- We want students to grow. We want our students to increase their understanding of God, His world, and their place in it. We want our students to enhance their skills for thinking, collaborating, communicating, and creating.
- We want staff to grow—staff are pursuing their own professional development goals, participating in book discussions, and reading publications from over 15 professional organizations.
- We want OCSI to grow. Our Schoolwide Action Plan targets culture, communication, key performance indicators, curriculum, and organizational stability and sustainability.
- Sharpening our vision helps us know what our goal is. So, staff have been reviewing OCSI’s mission, vision, and expected student outcomes; and parent newsletters have included a focus on the expected student outcomes.
- Assessing practice helps us see what we currently do and how effective it is. So, students, parents/guardians, and staff completed surveys. Next, high school student council, a PTF Committee, and staff used survey data as they assessed how OCSI is doing on 8 accreditation standards.
- Planning for growth is based on our assessment of practice. ACSI requires that we use assessment results to identify (only) 2-3 strengths and 2-3 growth areas. The Steering Committee and Leadership Team identified key strengths and growth areas (which were then used to update the ongoing Schoolwide Action Plan).
- OCSI’s sharpening of vision, assessment of practice, and planning for growth, please review our accreditation report and Schoolwide Action Plan.
- The accreditation process, please review this description from the Association of Christian Schools International.
- We are now preparing for the March 13-16 accreditation visit. A team of 5 educators will review our report, visit classes, study documents, hold meetings (with students, parents/guardians, staff, and the board), identify our strengths and growth areas, and report their findings to us and OCSI’s 2 accreditation agencies: the Association of Christian Schools International and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. We will use the team’s findings to refine our Schoolwide Action Plan.
- We are working to further involve students and parent/guardians in our ongoing improvement process.
- The College Board provides college and SAT prep materials?
- Part of OCSI’s vision is students using their learning to serve God and others?
- OCSI started in 1957, used to be located in Urasoe, and moved to Yomitan in 1996?
- That dates for next school year are posted on our community calendar? School begins on August 21, 2018 and ends on June 12, 2019. The schedule is similar to this school year, except that Christmas vacation is longer.
- OCSI publishes a variety of informative blog posts each month?
- 3/13-16: Accreditation visit: A team of 5 educators (led by Dr. Mohler of ACSI) will read our accreditation report, visit classrooms, look at documents, hold meetings, and identify OCSI’s overall strengths and growth areas.
- 3/21: Conferences
- 4/2-6: Spring vacation
- 5/4: Golden Week Holiday – no school
- 5/28: Memorial Day – no school
- 6/13: Last day of classes
- 6/21: Summer school begins
- 7/4: Independence Day – no school
- 7/17: Summer school ends
- 8/21: Classes begin (see the community calendar for key dates for next school year)
Thank you for the privilege of assisting you with the education of your child(ren)! Please contact us with your questions and concerns.
P.S. Thank you for your patience and understanding with road construction. Road construction is scheduled to be finished in mid-March. Elementary parents, if you drop of your children by the elementary playground, please escort them from the car to the gate—thanks!