As part of OCSI’s professional development program, new teachers participate in 12 hours of training on OCSI’s mission, vision, and philosophy. They reflect on the following 12 questions:
- What’s your perspective?
- What’s true?
- What’s the Bible about?
- What’s distinctive about Christian education?
- How does OCSI compare?
- How does understanding our students’ perspective help?
- What are the implications of OCSI’s philosophy?
- What are the implications of OCSI’s vision?
- What are the implications of creation-fall-redemption-restoration?
- What does/doesn’t connecting God’s world/Word look like?
- How does God’s Word connect to the part of God’s world your students study?
- How can you help your students connect God’s world/Word?
They also focus on the following key ideas:
- OCSI is a focused Christ-centered community.
- Staff are the living curriculum.
- Our mission is to equip students to walk with God and impact the world for Him.
- We value Christ-centered community, focus, empowerment, best practice, and growth.
- We focus our students on understanding, thinking, collaborating, communicating, and creating.
During the final session, teachers develop a lesson plan designed to help students connect the part of God’s world they are studying with God’s Word.