- Story sequence by identifying what part of a story doesn’t belong (kindergarten).
- The importance of praying for others to create community (2nd grade).
- Place value of decimals to the thousandths place (5th grade).
- The value of reading (grades 6-8), as part of our Drop Everything and Read Program.
- Commercial implications of chemistry in the invention of Teflon (high school).
- How we can extrapolate principles from the Bible that are applicable today in spite of all the ways life has changed in the thousands of years since it was written (high school Bible).
It’s also exciting to see staff increasing their understanding as they participate in professional development on student safety, engaging instruction, and differentiation. It’s exciting to learn that staff are reading books like All Things Bright and Beautiful, The Advantage, Visit the Sick, Third Culture Kids, and The Bronze Bow.
We know that our parents/guardians want to increase their understanding about what is happening at OCSI. So, we provide an online handbook, send emails, post on our blog and social media, use Jupiter, post board minutes and policy, and post key dates on our calendar, including:
- 10/9: Professional Development Day – no school for students
- 11/3: Parent-teacher conferences – no school for students
- 11/11: Walkathon and PTF’s Holiday Market—see you there!
- 11/13: OCSI Holiday – no school for students
Check your understanding: Did you know that…?
- OCSI’s chaplains (Mr. Roe and Mr. Reasoner) provide counseling to elementary and secondary students?
- Last year’s college-bound seniors received US$1,339,116 in college scholarships and grants?
- OCSI’s guidance counseling supports the college application process. To learn more, click here.
- In situations away from school, parents/guardians are responsible for their children’s behavior, but continued public disregard for the school’s standards will result in administrative involvement?
- OCSI provides a list of virtual tours for Japanese colleges?
- PTF is starting a parenting Bible study on October 6.
- OCSI’s website provides links to previous parent newsletters and to local churches?
- OCSI has 5 expected student outcomes, one of which is “understanding God, His world, and their place in it”?
On behalf of the Leadership Team, I want to thank you for the privilege of assisting your with the education of your child(ren)! Please feel free to contact appropriate staff with your questions and concerns.
P.S. OCSI has its 6-year accreditation visit in March 2018. Staff are preparing for the visit by analyzing how OCSI is doing in 8 areas. Staff are using data (including data from surveys: secondary students, parents/guardians, support staff, teaching staff) to assess current practice and to determine growth areas. September 7-8, Dr. Mohler of ACSI visited OCSI to check on our progress and gave us a good report.