I’m excited that our student readers and writers are…
- Learning to use the strategies of good readers (elementary school).
- Writing travel journals about a place they’ve never been in order to use their imaginations to create imagery that evokes a mood (middle school).
- Analyzing how an author uses content and style to communicate theme (high school).
I’m also excited that OCSI teaches English language arts from the perspective of the Bible’s overarching story of creation-fall-redemption-restoration:
- Creation (What’s God’s purpose?): God made language so we could communicate with Him and with others. Language helps us love God, love our neighbor, and take care of God’s creation.
- Fall (What’s wrong?): Because of sin, we use language to exalt ourselves, harm others, and grab power. Because of sin, we miscommunicate.
- Redemption (What difference does Jesus make?): Jesus, the Word, used words to proclaim God’s truth. He died and rose to free us from the power of sin. Because He redeemed us, we can use language as God intended.
- Restoration (What will you do?): The English Department equips students to walk with God and impact the world for Him. To do this, we help students enjoy God’s gift of language and use language to learn about God and His creation, effectively communicate truth, and bring shalom.
Meet Ms. Robbins, who teaches English 7 and English 8.