English Language Proficiency: OCSI uses the following English language proficiency criteria for admission:
- Students’ English abilities must be at a level appropriate for their grade level in relation to available resources.
- Applicants for grades 9-12 should have grade-level English proficiency to be admitted.
- Applicants for grades 6-8 should be within one grade level of English proficiency to be admitted.
- Applicants for kindergarten – grade 5 should be within two grade levels of English proficiency to be admitted. Exception: applicants for kindergarten through grade 2 whose English proficiency is more than two grade levels below may possibly be admitted, depending on the overall composition of the class.
- Students for whom English is an additional language and whose English proficiency is not at grade level may be assigned conditions of enrollment, such as working with a specialist and/or tutor during the school year and attending an approved summer school program. Students must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward reaching grade-level English proficiency. An annual review of student assessment results will be used to determine if the student will exit the English literacy program, continue in the program, or be asked to enroll in another school that can better meet the student’s needs.
- Parents must understand that OCSI is an English-speaking school and that they are expected to participate in their child’s education by being informed and are responsible for all OCSI expectations and communications.
- OCSI may deny admission of applicants for any of the following reasons for whom English is an additional language and whose English proficiency is insufficient: the teaching load of the staff, the class size and educational dynamics of the grade for which the student is applying, and the unavailability of an appropriately trained teacher.
Age/Readiness for Kindergarten and Grade 1:
The Leadership Team makes decisions about student placement and is guided by the following:
- A student entering preK or kindergarten is to be 3, 4, or 5 years of age before September 1 of the admission year to preK or kindergarten respectively.
- A student entering 1st grade is to be 6 years of age before September 1 of the admission year.
- Previous placement of transfer students.
- Online Application Form
- Record Release Form
- A copy of passport page showing your child’s birthday
- A recent applicant’s photo
- Physical Health Form
- Immunizations Policy
- Previous school records for at least the past two years (Grade 2-12)
- Behaviour/Discipline records (*If applicable)
- Current year’s progress report
- Application fee
Grade 7-12 Student Required Documents:
- Official transcript and school profile
- Initial transcript at the time of application, final transcript before enrolling
- A standardized test score report (MAP/ PSAT, etc.)
- English proficiency exam for non-native English speakers
All applicants must submit a completed physical that includes a satisfactory tuberculosis screening (skin test, x-ray, or QFT).
Residence: All applicants to OCSI must reside with a parent or legal guardian or in a school-recognized alternative residence (host family or relative). Families are responsible for reporting to OCSI that the student is not residing with the parent(s)/guardian(s).
1. Click here to start the online application and upload the Application required documents.
2. An Application Fee of ¥15,000 is required with each application. Testing fee of ¥15,000 is also needed for 4th grade and above (PC test required)
Please make sure to submit the application form first before you make the payment.
*We are unable to receive and/or consider an application for admission until all documentation and application fee have been submitted.
*Application fees must be paid before the interview in JPN yen. With the exception of the application fee, which may also be made by bank transfer or by cash in person.
Please click the button below for details on our tuition and fees, payment and bank account details. OCSI tuition fees are comprehensive and include the cost of school-issued computers/Chrome books, PSAT and MAP testing external examinations, as well as most and field trips. Bus services, cafeteria service, Athletic expeditions and some long-distance extracurricular activity-related travel are paid by parents/guardians separately.
Bank of Okinawa （沖縄銀行)
Yomitan Branch （読谷支店)
Swift code: BOKIJPJZ
Ordinary Account (普通口座): 1424856
Account Name: Gakko Hojin Okinawa Christian School (学校法人沖縄クリスチャンスクール)
Bank address: 319-11 Oki, Yomitan, Okinawa 904-0316
* Please make sure your application form is submitted before you make payment.
**Please note that bank transfer charges are the responsibility of the individual or company transferring the funds.
When the number of eligible applicants exceeds the availability of spaces for a particular grade year, students may be placed in a wait pool until space becomes available.
Students with siblings already enrolled at OCSI are given priority status within the wait pool, as are children of OCSI staff and alumni, students returning to Japan who have previously attended OCSI, and dependents.
Applicants accepted for admission are asked to accept or decline the offer within two week of receiving notice of acceptance by contacting our admissions office.
Once the offer has been accepted, parents will be sent an invoice for the one-time, non-refundable registration fee. They will also be sent a link to the online Docusign, where the enrollment process can be completed.
In order to confirm enrollment and reserve a space for the accepted applicant, completion of the online enrollment process and payment of the registration fee is due within two weeks of receipt of invoice, or two days before the student’s first day of attendance, whichever comes first.
These commitments must be made on a timely basis so that 1) we may ensure that places are held for accepted applicants who indeed wish to enroll and 2) in instances where accepted applicants choose other options, we may allocate places to other deserving candidates in the wait pool.